BRIDGES TO HEALTH (B2H)
The Bridges to Health (B2H) Home and Community-based Medicaid services waiver program is designed to provide children in foster care who have significant mental health or developmental disabilities, or health care needs, with services to help them live in a home or community-based setting. B2H helps improve the health and well-being of these children and avoid, delay, or prevent medical institutional care. B2H consists of three waivers—B2H for Children with Serious Emotional Disturbances (SED), B2H for children with Developmental Disabilities (B2H DD), and B2H for Medically Fragile (B2H MedF) children.
The B2H Waiver allows Medicaid to pay for some services not normally provided through Medicaid. The B2H program will provide the following services:
- Accessibility modifications.
- Adaptive and assistive equipment.
- Crisis respite.
- Crisis avoidance, management and training.
- Immediate crisis response services.
- Day habilitation (help with activities of daily living, such as dressing, feeding, bathing).
- Family caregiver supports and services.
- Health care integration (coordination and care management).
- Intensive in-home supports.
- Planned respite.
- Prevocational services (services that teach the person work habits that will help him/her to get and keep a job).
- Skill building.
- Special needs community advocacy and support.
- Supported employment (a job coach assists the individual's adjustment to the new work location and works closely with the supervisor to understand the person's needs, etc.).
To participate in B2H, youths must:
- Be enrolled in foster care;
- Be Medicaid eligible;
- Have a qualifying diagnosis for a developmental disability or medical fragility (up to 21 years old);
- Be eligible for an institutional level of care.
To enhance opportunities for successful reunifications and placements, the services can follow a participant home, into adoption, to lower levels of foster care and to adulthood.
For more information, please contact our B2H Supervisor at 631-321-1101.