Direct Care Counselors
Day Habilitation, Community (Individuals Homes) Crisis Respite, Weekend Respite/Recreation, After School Programs
All Five Boroughs, including Long Island Region (Nassau and Suffolk Counties)
(Flexible Schedules, weekends and holidays)
Provide protective oversight to individuals receiving services, support the development of independent living skills and promote choice while being responsible for the overall implementation of each individual’s habilitation plan in all areas of daily living.
Detail of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Must attend training sessions to increase knowledge and skills;
- Participate in case conferences or staff meetings;
- Counsel individuals, individually or in group sessions, to assist in overcoming dependencies, adjusting to life, or making changes;
- Complete and maintain accurate records or reports regarding the individuals' histories and progress, services provided, or other required information;
- Serve as an advocate both internally and while out in the community; coordinate counseling efforts with clinical/management professionals or other health professionals, such as doctors, nurses, or social workers;
- Provides hands on training and supervision in all areas of daily living skills including but not limited to; self-care skills, meal preparation, household chores, money management, travel training and any other consumer specific skills needed.
- Work effectively with individuals in diverse cultural and language environments.
Other Skills and Qualifications:
Minimum of High School Diploma or GED, Experience in a DD setting (group homes, day habilitation) or related field is preferred. NYS driver’s license required.